Monday, November 28, 2011


The Boot. This was taken outside the L.L.Bean flagship store in Freeport, Maine. If you have never heard of L.L.Bean, that's sad. You should remedy the situation immediately. For those of you that have, I trust that you know the history of Bean Boots. The Maine Hunting Shoe has roots tied to the Maine woods dating back to 1912, nearly 100 years. They have been referred to as Gum Boots, Bean Boots, and Bean-ers. Both of my parents grew up wearing them, as did my brother and I. The boots are just as much a part of staying warm as they are a Maine tradition. When you walk through town, you notice people who are wearing Bean Boots. You smile, maybe give them a camaraderie-type nod, and pass by. Bean Boots have become an integral part of my year, serving me well from Halloween through mud season. If you ever have a chance to visit Maine, I recommend making a stop in Freeport, you will most likely need an entire day to truly appreciate all that L.L.Bean's flagship store has to offer.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1000001705?qs=5677065-RDevents

1 comment:

  1. I stopped there on my way through last year. Very cool store. There is another one more toward Acadia right, outlet style? Found some goods there.

    I have a portion of my blog dedicated to that trip, you should check it out!

    -j

    ReplyDelete